South Carolina Land Forms through Drama with Charleston Stage (2 classes a day -5 days – for 4 classes)
Third Grade Social Studies Standard Addressed
Standard 3-1: The student will demonstrate an understanding of places and regions in South Carolina and the role of human systems in the state.
People utilize, adapt to, and modify the physical environment to meet their needs. They also identify regions based on geographic and human characteristics to help them interpret Earth’s complexity. To understand how people interact with the physical environment, the student will utilize the knowledge and skills set forth in the following indicators:
3-1.1 Categorize the six land form regions of South Carolina (the Blue Ridge, the Piedmont, the Sand Hills, the Inner Coastal Plain, the Outer Coastal Plain, and the Coastal Zone) according to their climate, physical features, and natural resources.
1. Students will read “The Story of a Place” from their SC History Text. This describes the 6 land regions of South Carolina.
2. Students will participate in an interactive CCSD Smart Board Lesson about the 6 land regions.
3. The students will make webs to organize what they have learned about each of the six SC land regions.
4. Students will use their web to create a flip book that describe and illustrate the human and physical features of the land regions.
5. Students will create a map of the land regions. The map will include a key and a title.
6. Mary Beth Clark of Charleston Stage will help students use what they have learned about the South Carolina land regions to create a script.
7. Students will work with Mary Beth Clark and her assistants to create dramatic movement to support their script.
8. Third grade students will perform their SC Land Region plays for the February PTA meeting.
DOWNLOAD A DETAILED EXPLANATION OF CHARLESTON STAGE ACTIVITIES.